When I joined the project the back end was already completed and my task was to build an easy to use interface around it. I decided to start by wireframing the most important screens like the rating screen that's unique to this app. I continued by defining other screens that the user goes through to meet someone.
After we defined the main flow of picking who you like it was time to step back and see how it all fits into the big picture. The navigation was designed so that all the main steps are easily accessible as tabs on a single screen.
After we had both the structure and the wireframes I proceeded with putting it all together and designing the final UI. As it so happened I had access to the code and decided to try and implement my designs in XML. Even though I've never done it before the client (who was a developer at Google) was very happy with the results and asked me to do the other screens as well.
View interactive prototype
Before launch the app received a name change and the client decided to add one more feature which meant more work for me. The main focus of Phase 2 was the profile builder feature that helps the users set up their profile in less time.
Since to main selling point and the main differentiatior of the app is it's unique algorithm that matches people to each other, the client wanted to point that out and to do that we added a "Feature discovery" animation as well as an onboarding flow to reinforce the message.
Someone else was tasked with designing the logo and the icon so my task was to make sure that the UI was in line with the new branding. There were also the new profile set up screens that also needed to be designed. Once again I was asked to implement the design in XML even though the client knew how little experience I had with writing code for Android apps.